Monday, August 22, 2022

Peace and Quiet? Heck no!

It was another foggy morning--really foggy. For the second time during my stay, I couldn't include sea state in my weather report to Pedder Bay Marina, because I couldn't even see the water. That meant I didn't need to take my binoculars, camera or scope with me for solar panel cleaning, although I knew that there was always a risk in not doing so.  It was already pretty windy as well, and remained so throughout the day, getting stronger in the afternoon and evening.

A very foggy morning


Traded in my binoculars for hearing protection. The foghorn blasts at ear-damaging levels.


Of course, the fog lifted before I finished, so it would have been the perfect time for something unusual to show up.  If it did, I didn't see it. The gap between solar panel/window cleaning and water testing gets longer by about an hour a day, so I took advantage of the time to catch up on a few online tasks I needed to do, and to talk with a friend. In passing, she asked if I was getting to enjoy some peace and quiet. Hah!  Race Rocks in August is akin to the noise level of a busy highway, although the sounds are completely different. Between the squawks of the gulls and the barks and growls of the sea lions, there is rarely a second of silence. And if there is, that is generally filled by wind.  Here are videos of me moving some California sea lions along so that I could do a water sample, and another of the gull's response to my walking through the colony to fix a downed fence post.  Two weeks ago, hard hats would have been advised, but things are much calmer now.  Still, a gull gave me a good thwack on the head when I lowered the flag tonight.





And if you really want to feel the mood, here is a very long (13 minute recording I made at 4:30 am the other morning. I left the parts where I opened and closed the door in, as that action alone irritated my feathered neighbours.

The elephant seals are generally pretty quiet. Bubbles returned to his spot by the Science building today, and his little buddy was still there. 

Is this the look of resignation?


The gulls are definitely noisy, poopy, and sometimes scary, but you start to know individuals quickly here.  I was saddened today when this one didn't come after me for the first time since I arrived. Not all young gulls make it, and this bird and its mate had just one sickly young right on and beside the main path. Every time I went to the jetty or the tank building, they would desperately defend their youngster even though I was very careful not to disturb it.  The baby died on August 11, but they continued to protect and defend it--until today. That's a 10+ day grieving period for a chick.


I connected with the team over at Rocky Point this morning. They are so close, but so far away. Passerines definitely still exist, they assure me. There is a little pass in Bentinck Island between Race Rocks and Rocky Point. Hundreds of pictures of Race Rocks have been taken from the vantage point near RPBO's portapotty.  I suggested we do the reverse today, so as they were en route to their cars at the end of the day, I took some pictures of the crew from this perspective.  If you squint, you can see that there are people waving!

There they are!

Rick's hair is impeccable!


When the fog returned a bit later, I went up into the tower to see what that looked like. I was hoping for something beautiful, like seeing the city over the fog, but no, it was just foggy. Through the fog, I could still see sparring on the ground below.  These two neighbours were going at it for several minutes until I think one of them may have caught the eye of the other.  The fight ended quickly after that, and with its head bowed, it scurried back to its mate who interacted with some bonding behaviour.





Other chores for the day included topping up the batteries, checking the water supply (still lots) and some general cleaning.  I also tried out the water testing procedure the traditional way, with a thermometer and hydrometer.  I hope to do it for real when I take the digital readings tomorrow.

The East Bay beach is getting crowded.  The Black Turnstones, Surfbirds, and occasional drop in guests have to make room for a growing number of California sea lions.

Everyone knows about this beach now!
Short-billed Dowitcher still present

While checking out the beach, I noticed a white float in the distance that wasn't there before.  Zooming in, I could see a blue band around it, and some writing on the top of it, although it wasn't clear.  Magnifying it later on my computer, I think it may say Pearson College.ca.  There are some students coming later this week to do a kelp study.  I suspect these two things may be connected.


What is that??


Mushu update: 

Look who I found under the covers!

And a few bonus shots:

Why we can't wear shoes in the house

Of course the bucket I need is on the top shelf!

Baby gulls ejoying their new compost mattress



No comments:

Post a Comment